Achievements of the Administrative Staff Retirees Association (ASRA) of uOttawa
With the support of more than 350 retirees who are members of ASRA, we have obtained :
- An increase of the Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) for retirees, from $96 (since
2002) to $189 in 2019 and $300 in 2020 (applies to those who retired after April 30, 2002).
- Access to the HCSA for retirees with less than 10 years of service provided they retired after
December 31, 2018.
- Pension increases in January 2019 for retirees who lost indexations in previous years.
- The participation of a second retired administrative staff member on the Pension Committee since September 2018.
- Voting rights on the Pension Committee for retired administrative staff (obtained in 2009).
- On-campus parking privileges for University retirees, including free outdoor parking on Saturdays,
Sundays and statutory holidays (free permit required every two years).
- An analysis of some of the best providers of health, dental and travel insurance done in 2018 by
Human Resources (see recommendations on the website).
- Health conferences organized by Human Resources and presented by Mercer in 2016 and 2017, and others to come.
- Free tuition for retirees, with no age limit for themselves, since 2006.
- A 25% discount on non-credit courses at the University's Professional Development Institute.
- Eligibility of retirees for discounts negotiated by the University’s Alumni Association at selected
suppliers. See www.uottawa.ca/alumni/discounts.
- The creation of a scholarship fund that allows ASRA to award a scholarship to deserving students
each year, thanks to the generosity of both active and retired administrative staff.
- The organization of numerous social events, meals and conferences, every year since 1997, providing
retirees the opportunity to socialize with former colleagues.
- A website to inform retired administrative staff of the University on the following topics:
- News of interest to retirees
- The names of employees who retire each month and the names of deceased retirees
- The list of cultural and social activities organized for retirees
- Benefits for retired administrative staff of the University
- Sending invitations, information e-mails and newsletters to any retiree who agrees to provide their
e-mail contact information to the ASRA.
BECOME A MEMBER! YOUR SUPPORT IS IMPORTANT!